September 3, 2017

Daring to Hope by Katie Davis Majors

Daring to Hope: Finding God's Goodness in the Broken and the BeautifulDaring to Hope: Finding God's Goodness in the Broken and the Beautiful by Katie Davis Majors
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

My initial thoughts: What a story! Make sure you have a box of kleenex because you'll need it but the title is truth for this book and it is full of hope as well. In fact some of the times I cried weren't because I was sad but because the story was so moving!

If you haven't read Kisses from Katie I'd highly recommend reading it first so you know the backstory to how she ended up in Uganda and how she came to having all of her beautiful adopted daughters. But even if you don't read it first this book will stand alone.

I was amazed at some of the stories in this book. Of her faith, perseverance, and her willingness to serve. One of my favorite quotes was in chapter 3 where she said "Sometimes you lead with the will and the heart follows." I found that to be so profound so early in the book.

"Sometimes you lead with the will and the heart follows."


Another part I truly loved about this book was her willingness to admit how hard raising all those kids is at times. How she sometimes is short with them. How she has trauma from their pasts that they have to work to overcome. How she has to work to overcome the US cultural way of life to adapt to the culture of Uganda. Sometimes books about adoption and missionary life forget to talk about the struggles. And while Katie doesn't dwell on them she doesn't gloss over them either.

Of course I also loved reading how she met her husband! I am so glad to know she has a partner in ministry. Someone to lead their family. A daddy for all the kids.

But most of all I love how she turns to God in the good times and the hard times. I love how she leans on him for rest. In one part of the book she talks about how she cried out to God about how tired she was and He reminded her that He wasn't weary. That He was there. That really spoke to me.


 

The ONLY downside to reading this book? It makes me long for the two months I spent working at a baby home in Bolivia in South America. I miss those babies. I miss those toddlers. I miss the women that worked at the home.

The publisher sent me an advanced copy of this book to be on the launch team. All opinions in this review are my own.

View all my reviews