June 17, 2017

Review: Sweetbriar Cottage

Sweetbriar Cottage Sweetbriar Cottage by Denise Hunter
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book was amazing! Honestly I knew it would be because all of her books are but I really, really, really loved this one.

I'll admit it ended about the way I expected it to. But I never would have guessed what she would put her characters through! I really loved Josie and Noah. I especially loved getting to know them at different times in their lives too. The flashbacks were so well done. I especially appreciate when an author truly spells out when the flashback is taking place. So I loved the time frame headers on the chapters. And the glimpses into their lives when they first met vs present day were wonderful. I love young love. Sometimes it makes me roll my eyes but I still love it. It is so fresh and full of promise. The views into Josie's childhood were not my favorite because of how awful her childhood was but I appreciate authors that take those awful memories and turn them into new chances in their books. I love that Josie got to learn about forgiveness and unconditional love. I also love that she turned to God.

Aside from amazing settings and characters I'd say that Hunter's biggest gift is truly passionate relationships. Sometimes the passion isn't love though and it is neat to see how other emotions can also illicit passion in a book! I loved all the different emotions and situations passion came out of in this book. If you enjoy a good romance that is clean I think you'll love this book!

But more than anything I truly love when a Christian author uses their faith when writing the book and in the character's lives in their book. I love how constantly Noah turned to God. To me that characteristic he had made him all that much more appealing as the hero in the book. I'm so thankful for authors that seek God's guidance as they write their books.

One final thing I really loved about this book was the element of suspense thrown in. Typically you don't find suspense in Hunter's books but this one did it so well. I was truly getting anxious and nervous and freaking out for awhile. And the dialogue and descriptions during those moments was spot on and truly made my emotions rise as I was reading about the dangers.

I truly cannot tell you a single thing I didn't like about this book. Except maybe that it ended! I could have read about Noah and Josie all night!

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for an advanced copy of this book. All opinions are my own.

View all my reviews