June 6, 2017

Review: High As the Heavens

High As the Heavens High As the Heavens by Kate Breslin
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Loved this book because it was so much more than just a historical romance. All I really expected was a mixture of history and romance and instead also got suspense and intrigue as well!

There are so many books based in WWII that it thrills me when an author picks a less written about time like WWI. I sadly haven't studies WWI as much as WWII but I love reading Breslin's books because they are so well researched and I actually learn a lot without feeling like I'm studying history. I love how she bases her story on real life events and also people or a combination thereof.

I was hooked from the very first page and loved the different facets of the story involving Eve and her family and also her work as a nurse. My mom is a nurse so I really liked reading about a historical nurse that helped so many people in so many ways.

In a historical romance based during wartime I am always impressed when an author finds the perfect balance between realistic details and too much gore. High as the Heavens does have a few scenes that are fairly gruesome but they are written very well with only enough detail to make a point without being over the top. She achieved her goal of making me feel the pain of the situation without making me wish I could go back in time and unread what I'd read. Plus the inclusion of difficult passages honestly made the book much more realistic since terrible things happen in wartime.

In the end I think the biggest reason I loved this book was because there were so many moments of suspense and I never once figured out who the bad guys were. Since the book also focused on different members of the world of espionage it was a constant concern of who was working for the good guys and definitely gave me moments of heart-stopping action.

Normally I don't care for books that are written in dual times. But Breslin did it so well that I found myself drawn into the story in both times. Usually I find myself skimming to get back to my favorite time period of the story and this time I found myself doing the opposite and savoring every page of the story.

I truly cannot recommend this book enough. It is the best book I've read by Breslin and I've read all of her works.People who loved Not by Sight are going to love this book because she really takes her writing up another level with this book.

The publisher through NetGalley provided me an advanced copy of this book. All opinions are my own.

View all my reviews