October 16, 2016

Review: This Road We Traveled

This Road We Traveled This Road We Traveled by Jane Kirkpatrick
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I heard so many good things about this book and the premise looked really intriguing so I picked it up. I really enjoyed reading a book based on the Oregon Trail time period. I grew up playing that game on the computer and really did enjoy reading about real life struggles of deciding what to pack based on weight and then numerous times on the trail deciding what to keep and what to ditch for the same reason. I also enjoyed how the different people banded together to help each other. But I didn't enjoy how it seemed that the family was more likely to help a stranger than each other oftentimes.

I was overwhelmingly disappointed with how the family treated the mother! I was likewise disappointed with how overtly feminist she came across though too. I felt like between the seemingly premature feminist movement taking place in her life and the poor treatment of family members that I couldn't really get into the story.

It was also hard for me to get into the story because the book read more like a textbook of a pretend Oregon Trail family than a fiction book based on a real life woman from history. I was disappointed to find the book felt more like a historical rewrite and less like a fictional story with basis in history.

I think that readers who prefer very strong historical books might find this more interesting than I did. I love history but have learned through this book that I would rather read an actual memoir or biography than a fiction book written the way this one was.

I received a free copy of this book from Revell. This review is my honest opinion.

View all my reviews