October 29, 2016

Review: The Other Side of Infamy: My Journey through Pearl Harbor and the World of War

The Other Side of Infamy: My Journey through Pearl Harbor and the World of War The Other Side of Infamy: My Journey through Pearl Harbor and the World of War by Jim Downing
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

It isn't often you get to read a historical account of WWII written by someone who actually experienced it and is still alive in 2016 to write a book and tell about it.

It was truly a pleasure to read his accounts of Pearl Harbor and the years that followed during WWII. To know what he personally experienced that Sunday morning and the personal sacrifices he made both that day and honestly throughout the rest of his life are quite amazing.

If you are a history buff or like to learn more about WWII I highly recommend this read. But I also recommend it to anyone who wants to learn what it was like to become a Christian and lead others to Christ during one of our country's most difficult times. Downing truly touch more lives through his spiritual sacrifices than he did through his military ones. And his wife was a force of her own too! The strength she showed and the efforts she made to reach people through the Navigators both along side her husband and on her own were amazing.

That generation truly was the greatest generation. And this quote from the book proves it:

"I also felt a strong sense of pride. All around me were men who had recognized what was happening, ignored the risk, and did what needed to be done. In most cases there were no officers to tell them what to do. They acted on instinct and did the right thing." -Jim Downing

The publisher sent me a copy of this book. This review contains my honest opinions.

View all my reviews