August 31, 2016

Review: Chase the Lion: If Your Dream Doesn't Scare You, It's Too Small

Chase the Lion: If Your Dream Doesn't Scare You, It's Too Small Chase the Lion: If Your Dream Doesn't Scare You, It's Too Small by Mark Batterson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book follows Mark's first book, In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day, which regrettably I have not read. But thankfully I still found a lot to glean from this book even though I hadn't read In a Pit.

I think one of the things that draws me to Mark's writing is his obvious love for history. Between Biblical history, World History, and US History this book is full of stories. It is obvious how widely read and studied he is.

I did find this book to be lacking in scripture reference. There are some. And many biblical stories are referred to. But I didn't find myself jotting down very many scriptures. However, he does share a fair number of very inspiring Bible stories. And he also encourages his readers to search for a verse that impacts them the way 2 Samuel 23:20 did him.

The whole idea in this book is that we need to chase the lion and pursue our dreams. And that if our dreams don't scare us then they aren't big enough! But he also spent a fair amount of time in this book talking about legacy. I'm very proud of my family's legacy as missionaries in Bolivia. But I want to be sure that my great-grandchildren will also be proud of my legacy.

I really liked what Mark said in chapter 7:

"I often remind young pastors that God doesn't' just want to anoint them in the pulpit. He also wants to anoint them in the study. And if they cheat God in the study, they can't expect Him to compensate for it in the pulpit."

I truly appreciate that he points out how important the work is. And I also loved that he pointed out the same is true for any occupation. It reminds me that I can't just expect to meet goals at work because I show up but that I have to actually work for it.

This book has inspired me to not only really think about what my dreams and goals are in life. But also to think about how they will be for God's glory and to benefit others and not just myself.

I would recommend this book to anyone that has been putting off focusing on what God wants to do in and through their life. I would also recommend it to anyone that has let fear get in the way of their hopes and dreams.

I received a free copy of this book as a part of Mark's book launch team but my review and thoughts are my own.

View all my reviews