August 9, 2016

Devoted Defender

Devoted Defender
by Rachel Dylan



I loved book one in this series, Lethal Action, so it wasn't really any surprise that I loved this one too. Caleb and Annie are wonderful characters that are so easy to relate to and have great stories both individually and together.

This book really includes everything. I was pleased to find myself in a fast-paced novel full of action, adventure, suspense, drama, and of course romance. I really enjoyed getting to know Caleb better after meeting him briefly in the first book. He is an excellent police chief. I love how he isn't content to sit in an office and delegate but actually gets out there in public and does the leg work. And I truly love how passionate Annie is about her job as a chef.



Sometimes when both characters in a book have similar baggage it is overwhelming. But even though Caleb and Annie have some similarities in their past difficulties I never felt like their pasts overpowered their present day issues. And I loved the open dialogue that took place between the two of them. It isn't often you find a book where the dialogue between characters is so well played out. I also really appreciated that this wasn't another missionary dating situation. I loved that both characters were already strong in their Faith.

Another aspect of both Caleb and Annie's characters that I really appreciated were their flaws. Annie has some pretty serious fears of police from her childhood. And Caleb is dealing with his time in Afghanistan. Both of these issues are quite realistic with what many people face today and I was pleased to see characters working through such realistic situations.

Probably my absolute favorite parts of this novel surround the areas of suspense. There were a few different times where Dylan completely surprised me and I truly love being surprised in a suspenseful story. There was one point in the story where I actually took in a sharp breath because I was so surprised! This book isn't super heavy on the romance. But the moments that are there will make you sigh and Dylan does a great job of interspersing those amidst the tension of the story.

I really enjoy Dylan's books because she brings such a strong level of credibility to her novels since she is a lawyer. Her insight into how interviews with DAs go made for especially interesting scenes in this book. And I also loved her insight into what lawyers are looking for when they interview suspects and witnesses. I'm already looking forward to the third book in this series!


I was provided a free advanced copy of this book by the author in exchange for my honest review. But I also purchased both book 1 and 2 from Amazon because they are that good!

This is book 2 in a series. Book 1, Lethal Action, can be purchased on Amazon.com for .99 cents right now!