July 15, 2016

Review: Hope Under Mistletoe

Hope Under Mistletoe Hope Under Mistletoe by Jessica R. Patch
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I typically avoid novellas - only because for me, usually the longer a book is the more I love it - but I am so glad I didn't avoid this one!!!

This little novella packed a wonderful story line, great characters, hot (but clean!) romance, and a great spiritual theme of forgiveness in less than 100 pages! And it never felt rushed or cut short!

Eden was an intriguing character. She was your typical goody two shoes. But then again she wasn't! And Knox with his former hockey player turned bar owner bad-boy roughness sure does have his moments when he is quite wonderful. And Eden's son Eli.... He sounds so cute I just want to give him a hug!

I really loved how this book was clean and Christian without being boring. I appreciated the passion the characters felt romantically and that there were some moments that got steamier than Christian fiction usually does while still being completely clean. I also really liked that the characters felt temptation but avoided sin and even later had good conversations about how to forgive one another for the situation! In fact, I really felt the whole book was filled with momentary conversations that while they were short were quite profound. The theme of forgiveness throughout the story was amazing. Eden's ability through God's grace to forgive was amazing.

Some of my favorite parts of this book took place on the ice. I am not very good at it but I love to ice skate so I loved those scenes. I know next to nothing about hockey but have to admit reading this book makes me want to have a little boy play hockey.

I also really liked the fact that Eden found a place for the church to meet during repairs in a BAR! Such a great opportunity to make people look outside the box to see that a church can meet anywhere! We don't need to put limitations on where the Holy Spirit can meet us! I loved that some of the parishioners grumbled but in the end saw the good meeting there did!

If you love Christmas themed novellas... And if you like a little more passion in the relationships in the books you read... And if an ex-hockey player and a widowed pastor's wife sound like an intriguing couple then I think you'll love this book!


I did get this book for free from Amazon but all opinions in this review are my own.

View all my reviews