June 4, 2016

Review: Sea Rose Lane

Sea Rose Lane Sea Rose Lane by Irene Hannon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

4.5 Stars (Goodreads doens't do half stars)

I loved Hope Harbor, the first book in this series so I wasn’t surprised to love this book too. I love Hannon’s characters. From the way Eric and BJ meet to the way they get to know each other I loved every moment. Sometimes when a contemporary romance moves quickly I find myself annoyed because it doesn’t seem realistic. But in this story it seemed perfect and kind of reminded me of how fast it moved for my husband and me. It is amazing how fast love can bloom.

Another part of this story that I really enjoyed were the side characters whose stories were just as impactful. I especially enjoyed getting to know Luis and really would love to see him in another book in the future. I also appreciated how Hannon brought immigration and refugee status into her story. I hope that Luis’ story touches a lot of people.
The pacing in this story is just about perfect. I never found myself wondering how much longer the book was going to be but I also never felt like it went too fast. I liked that there were some moments in the story where you wondered what direction life would take Eric but I also liked that Hannon didn’t make those internal career choice conflicts he had the main focus of the story. I wouldn’t have minded if we had seen a little more into his spiritual renewal but the fact that it was evident in his life was a welcome aspect of the story.

I felt the character development was just about perfect too. I loved watching Eric and BJ open up to each other. I love how open their communication was and how honest they were. It was fun to watch a lawyer loosen up and learn to enjoy life again. Their romance was so very enjoyable. I love Christian romances because they actually show the importance of building a relationship outside of the physical but when sparks fly you still get the warm and fuzzies without the filth.

It was also really nice to have a book focus on the importance of past relationships both with family members and former romances. I loved learning about what BJ overcame and I swooned a few times as Eric drew her out of her hiding to share here past hurts with him. I hope that this book can create more opportunities for women to realize the importance of open dialogue.

Just like with Hope Harbor I really feel this would be an excellent book club pick. I would love to sit in a living room and discuss this book with a group of women.

I received this book from Revell in exchange for my honest review.

View all my reviews