June 28, 2016

Review: The Hearts We Mend

The Hearts We Mend The Hearts We Mend by Kathryn Springer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I loved the first book in this series and hate that it took me this long to get to reading book two. I really loved Evie's story. I knew I liked her in the first book but I really grew to love her even more in this one. And Jack, with all his family flaws, was honestly perfect.

I cannot even imagine losing a husband at such a young age. I also cannot imagine raising a son alone. But Evie is so strong and she handled it honestly better than most probably would have! There were parts of this story that truly broke my heart. People who are dealing with an empty nest will want fair warning to have a box or two of Kleenex handy! I love how Springer tackles difficult subjects of loss in a way that tugs at your heart to be more aware of the pain people are in during such times. Looking back I probably should have felt worse for my parents as they went through the empty nest phase of life.

And Jack... I have to say he was quite easy to fall in love with. Just as Evie had difficult challenges to deal with so does he. Dealing with a dysfunctional family has to be unimaginably hard but he deals with it so well and on top of helping his family helps his entire neighborhood too? Amazing. I really loved the strength and capability he brought to the story.

I read love stories because I like to see love triumph in all kinds of real life and make believe situations. But my favorite stories are the ones that could really happen in real life like this one. I love that Jack and Evie really had to work to overcome issues in their lives. I also really appreciated the role the community and church played in their relationship too. I long to find the community they had in my own life.

This was a great read. If I didn't have a million books in my to be read pile I'd read it again right now!

I was provided a free copy of this book through NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.

View all my reviews