June 29, 2016

Review: Broken Ground

Broken Ground Broken Ground by Karen Halvorsen Schreck
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book was amazing. Terribly hard to read considering it covered the Mexican Repatriation that happened in the 1930s but oh so applicable to what is happening in our world even today. There are so many horrific things that happened in our country's past that are glossed over in history classes and this is definitely one of them. I hate knowing that the US deported US CITIZENS without due process just because they assumed they were illegals. I hate knowing the conditions these immigrants lived in. I hate how immigrants are still treated today :(

This book was the perfect balance of history and fiction. So much of the book was accurate. The story of La Llorona for example is a huge part of Mexican history. And for once I read a book with Spanish in it that didn't make me cringe because it wasn't translated well! I loved that Ruth's story was first person. It made it so compelling. But what I really loved what that she embraced the opportunity to take the hard times from her life - of which there were many - and went to where she could be used the most, learned some Spanish, and helped kids and parents alike learn math and English to improve their quality of life. She could have easily taken a much easier route in life but instead she literally risked her own life to help the Mexicans living in work camps.

This is a must read for anyone looking to better understand the plight of immigrants. In many ways nothing has changed since the 1930s. It isn't easy to read about because it is actually quite sad. But it is one of the best books I've read in a long time!

This book was provided to me by the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.

View all my reviews