April 25, 2016

Review: Traces of Guilt

Traces of Guilt Traces of Guilt by Dee Henderson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

You know a book deserves five stars when you immediately want to re-read the entire 400 pages! This book was amazing! As I’ve come to love, Henderson wrote with such attention to detail that the only things left to my imagination were the things she wanted left to my imagination. I actually felt like I had been transported to Carin County, Illinois where the Thane family resides. And when the characters suffered physical and emotional pain I felt my own body tense up. I was literally holding my breath through many pages of this book waiting to find answers to the many questions brought up by reexamining the cold cases. If you ever watched the television show Cold Case you’ll have a really good idea what I mean. And I loved that show!

Henderson’s ability to weave characters from all of her older books into this recent release is astounding. I lost count of how many of my old friends were in this book. It was lovely to reunite with so many of them. But I also loved getting to know the Thane family. Each of the sons is quite unique and the parents have so many wonderful qualities and have raised their boys so well. Evie Blackwell is amazing too. Her ability to compartmentalize and leave the case at the office is unbelievable. I wish I had that skill to leave work at work!

Just like all of Henderson’s books Traces of Guilt is full of characters that pray regularly, study the scriptures, and truly rely on God in the good times and bad. I love how her books point me toward God and cause me to long for a deeper relationship with Him.

Traces of Guilt has romance but a lot of it is different than the falling in love romance that so many Christian Fiction books have. Much of it is between couples married for a while learning to do life with each other, be there for each other, and support each other. I loved the marriages in this book because they truly focus on the commitment of sharing your life with your husband or wife.

As I mentioned before there were many times I held my breath reading this book. There was so much to discover in the cold cases that at times I could hardly handle the suspense. And I never did figure out any of the mystery and that always makes for a great read. Henderson is the only author that ever gets me that deeply involved in the characters and storyline of a book.


I received a free advanced copy of this book from Bethany House in exchange for my honest review.

View all my reviews