March 27, 2016

Review: Annabel Lee

Annabel Lee Annabel Lee by Mike Nappa
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This book was a little hard for me to get into but once I got into it I was curious to see how it would end. I didn't realize at first that it was the first book in a series so I didn't quite get the ending I was hoping for but I assume that will come later in the series?

I must say I really liked Trudi. Of course I always like the strong female leads so I wasn't surprised by this. But my favorite part about her was the fact that she knew when to be strong and when to be sensitive to Annabel. I also liked her love for literature even if Edgar Allen Poe isn't my favorite. I probably would have REALLY loved this book if I were a bigger Poe fan...

I'm never crazy about books where the chapters alternate between people. And this one alternated between so many people that it made it even harder for me to read an enjoy. But I will admit it helped with the pacing of the book and did make it more intriguing. Once I was hooked about a third of the way into the book I would have had a hard time putting the book down.

I was however a little put off by the vast amount of violence in the book. There were a few parts that were a little too gory for my liking. There was also a lot of mention of cursing even though the words were never used. But the hardest part for me was the almost supernatural/occult side of the story that I was not at all prepared for. I would not have picked up this book if I had realized that aspect of the story. I was also very disappointed to read a book from Revell that didn't have more Spiritual or Christian themes to it.

I received a free copy of this book from Revell in exchange for my honest review.

View all my reviews