February 22, 2016

Review: The Red Door Inn

The Red Door Inn The Red Door Inn by Liz Johnson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was my first book by Liz Johnson and it was also my first book set in Prince Edward Island. I went into the book knowing nothing about either and now that I've finished the book I'm looking forward to book 2!

I'm a big fan of B & Bs. I've only stayed at one but it was on our honeymoon and it was an excellent five nights! So I loved the idea of a book centered around a B & B.

Reading Marie's story was actually quite difficult because of everything she experienced in her past. But I really loved how Johnson tied the idea of our Heavenly Father to memories of both her earthly biological father and the father figure she found in Jack. I know that many people grew up like Marie with an earthly father who didn't give their children "good gifts" and I really appreciated the theme in the book that God, our Heavenly Father, is always there for us wanting what is best for us. I was glad Marie was able to learn this lesson.

Seth was hard to like! Eventually I liked him but not til toward the very end! But I understood why Johnson wrote his character the way she did because he too was coming to terms with his past. I would have liked to learn a little more about his spiritual walk though.

The scenery and descriptions were amazing. I seriously would like a cinnamon roll right now. And I would also like to have enough money to go to an auction to buy stuff for my house. But alas I'll be content to read about such things in Johnson's books :)

I received a free advanced copy of this book from the author and her publisher in exchange for my honest review.

View all my reviews