February 6, 2016

Back in the Saddle

Back in the Saddle
by Ruth Logan Herne

3 Stars

Releases: March 15, 2016

This was my first book to read by Herne. But I love cowboy stories and there was one on the cover so it wasn't a hard decision to try it.

My favorite part about this modern day retelling of the Prodigal Son was how wonderful Colt was. I loved how he really did a 180 in turning his life around. I love how he treated everyone around him and his outlook on life. Another part I really liked was the massive change we were told took place in Sam's life after becoming a Christian. I love stories where new found relationship with God really plays out in the character's life.

Unfortunately I found other parts of this book to be lacking. Numerous times I ran across a sentence that was almost exactly the same as one a few chapters before. And I always felt like both the romance and spirituality of the story were mentioned enough to get my attention but in all honesty very briefly. I would have liked to have felt the chemistry between the characters rather than being told about it. And I also would have preferred Colt to have had more of a redemption spiritually speaking.

I loved many of the side characters. The girls were wonderful! And I loved how the entire town banded together during a hard time.

Overall the story had a good premise but just didn't quite keep me engaged.

I received an advanced copy of this book though Blogging for Books in exchange for my honest review.