February 2, 2016

A Season to Love

A Season to Love
by Nicole Deese

This was only my second book by Deese but she is already one of my new favorite authors! My first Deese novel was A Cliche Christmas. Lenox is such a wonderful small town and I was excited to revisit it in this book.


Willa's story was so well written and I really empathized with her in a way that I can't always with fictional characters. Her hurdles in life were so real that I truly felt the anxiety along with her. And when she felt panicked and scared I felt it too. My own struggles in life haven't been as strong as hers but I've felt many of the same feelings she experienced and loved reading a novel that portrays real struggles that I myself have dealt with. The internal conflicts Willa faced and the way she battled to redefine her life were inspirational.

Patrick's character was beyond wonderful. There were so many scenes with him that were my favorites. His words of wisdom and his advice throughout the novel made me fall in love with him. I really loved how he pushed Willa out of her comfort zone more than once without being obnoxious.

I stayed up way past my bedtime to read this whole book in one sitting. There was no way I could put it down even to sleep! For me the story moved fast - but in a good way that kept me turning pages to find out how Deese would take her characters to their happily ever after. Thankfully she didn't make it easy for them because those books get boring. I loved watching the love story unfold but even more so loved that it was very realistic and there were moments of anger and hurt along with the falling in love. Those moments of conflict and tension made this story great.

But I must tell you that as much as I loved all the elements described above my favorite parts were definitely the romance. I loved any scene where Willa and Patrick were making progress falling in love. I loved the big and small gestures. And I loved the physical sparks between them. 

I appreciated how Deese weaved Christianity into the story without coming across as preachy. I would feel very comfortable suggesting this book to my non-Christian and Christian friends alike. I would suggest this book for fans of Denise Hunter.

I received a free advanced copy of this book through NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.