January 23, 2016

Undaunted Hope

Undaunted Hope
by Jody Hedlund

4.5 Stars!

I loved Tessa's story! Of course I love any story that features a spirited, hard working, strong woman :) but the former teacher in me also loves any story where said woman is a teacher! I especially loved that teaching the school aged children wasn't enough for her and she worked to educated the older children and the adults too!


I have to admit the love triangle of the story wasn't my favorite part because for me it went on a little too long but that was the only tiny thing I didn't like. I did love that in the end I still got my happily ever after that I have come to love in Hedlund's books.

To ultra conservative readers I will mention that there is mention of premarital sex in this book. But every aspect of this premarital sex was portrayed in light of its sin and the teenagers involved were chastised and knew what they were doing was wrong. I think that if a mother and teenage daughter were to read this together it could spark some really good conversations about how instant gratification is not the answer and true love in the confines of marriage is worth waiting for. I actually really appreciated the way Hedlund handled these conversations in the book. Being a former high school teacher I thought that Tessa handled her conversations with her student quite well.

The romance in this book had me swooning just pages into it. Anytime a hero rescues a damsel in distress is welcome and I love that no words were minced about how Tessa felt physically about said hero because while there is more to a relationship than physical attraction that is generally how most relationships start.

If you're looking for a book where you can root for the couple to fall in love, surpass obstacles both external and internal, and find happily ever after I think you'll love this book.

The publisher, Bethany House, provided me with a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.