January 14, 2016

The Newsmakers

The Newsmakers
by Lis Wiehl

I have never read anything by Lis Wiehl before but I was intrigued by the journalism aspect of the story since I was on newspaper staff all through high school and college and still sometimes miss my newspaper days. I loved the idea of a strong female character that was an investigative journalist. I also like mystery and suspense so that was a great second reason to read the book. I tend to only read Christian Fiction so I was looking forward to a book with at least some Christian values from publisher, Thomas Nelson...

First, what I liked about the book. I did like the drive that Erica's character exhibited throughout the book. I also loved how she was always looking for truth and not just what would keep the boss happy or get good ratings. I also liked how her immediate supervisor, Greg, was very supportive of her professionally and stood up for her. Another aspect of the book I really liked was how fast the plot moved along. There was so much action and suspense and mystery that made this a page turner. In fact, right up until the very end it just kept going at the same pace.

But in spite of the good things going for it I was disappointed with the lack of Christian values. I don't mind if a book that is on two Christian best seller ranking lists on Amazon isn't preachy. But I do mind when I finish the book and cannot think of a single line that promoted Christianity or Faith. I wouldn't have minded if characters had lived sin filled lives and become Christians or if mediocre Christians had returned to God or something of that sort but unfortunately this book is full of lying, manipulation, greed, murder, drugs, and sex just to name a few. Having my B.A. and M.A. both in Spanish I was also appalled by the Spanish language used in the book because the first instance was downright vulgar and the second instance was quite insulting especially for a sister to be using in reference of her brother.

Overall this was an interesting read that kept my attention for the evening. But while I might recommend this to my friends that enjoy general fiction novels I would not recommend this to any of my Christian friends and I will not be reading further books in this series.

I received an advanced copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher, Thomas Nelson, in exchange for my honest review.