January 17, 2016

The Calling of Ella McFarland

The Calling of Ella McFarland
by Linda Brooks Davis

Linda Brooks Davis’ debut novel, The Calling of Ella McFarland, is beautifully written. The balance between action, romance, and conflict in this book makes it a real page turner. I was pleased to also find a strong presence of faith throughout the story as well. I love it when an author writes a book that helps me remember that God is in control and all we must do is turn to Him.


 



There were times when I felt this book was quite predictable but Davis threw in a few twists that added just a touch of mystery to the story. But my favorite part was the romance and I thought it was great that she included twists in that aspect of the story as well. I always enjoy a book more when the couple has to actually work for a successful relationship even if I know in the end there will be a happily ever after.

There were times in the story where I did feel overwhelmed by the sheer number of conflicts with the secondary characters. I didn’t have trouble keeping up so much but I did at times feel distracted from the main story. There were also more themes in this book than I usually find in a book so at times that detracted from the story as well. I loved all of the topics covered but covering one or two fewer might have helped me enjoy the book even more.

There are a few topics that are meant for more mature audiences. Attempted rape is mentioned, there is a child out of wedlock, and there is an abusive relationship. None of these were the focus of the story but conservative readers and parents of younger readers might want to know ahead of time.

Overall this was a great read and Davis is certainly an author to watch and I look forward to reading more books by her in the future.

The publisher, Mountainview Books, provided me with a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.