January 16, 2016

Step by Step

Step by Step (Crisis Care Team book 2)
by Candace Calvert

I love Candace Calvert's books and couldn't wait to get my hands on this one! Step by Step was exactly what I've come to expect from Calvert's books. Wonderfully exciting medical drama with a good dose of romantic tension and an outside villain to keep things interesting. Her characters are always quite complex but I felt like this book had even more complexity than usual. Taylor's life is full of tension from work, crisis team, relationships, and grief. Then Seth shows up and complicates things even more! And the minor characters are dealing with issues too. Both the internal conflicts and the interpersonal ones in this book keep things interesting as you wonder when and where people will reconcile with their own personal issues as well as issues with each other.



The romance in this book was good! There was a lot of romantic tension since there are two men in Taylor's life and that definitely made things interesting more than once. I felt like the scenes with both the men were quite realistic and in fact maybe toned down from what would happen in real life if two guys were going for the same girl! I definitely found myself rooting for one of them :)

I am giving this book 3 1/2 stars because for me the pacing was off. It just didn't move as fast as I'm used to her books moving and I ended up reading this book in three sittings when I usually read her books in one. The medical drama part I still loved but I wonder if I wasn't hindered following so many interesting characters. I was really drawn to Kasie's character and I'm hoping she'll be the main character in her own book too. I also found myself more interested than I wanted to be in what would happen with Sloane. But I didn't care for being so distracted from Taylor's life.

I would especially recommend this book for anyone who enjoys medical dramas and also for pet lovers because pets played a huge role in this story (perhaps one of the reasons I wasn't as invested in the story since I'm not a huge pet person.)

So while overall this wasn't my favorite book by Calvert she is still among my favorite authors and I am very much looking forward to her next book!


Tyndale provided me with a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.