January 26, 2016

Cold Shot

Cold Shot 
by Dani Pettrey



I love Pettrey’s writing style, scenes, and characters so much. From the first paragraph I was sucked in by her vivid and strong descriptions that made me feel like I am on scene in the story myself. And by the end of chapter two I was more than hooked and already excited to see what would happen with Griffin and Finley.

 

I like complex books. So while it was complicated at times to keep track of all the characters in Cold Shot I really enjoyed the challenge. Finley is my favorite type of female lead because she is strong, smart, and more than capable of handling anything but still has her own personal flaws that keep her from being perfect. And Griffin’s protective personality was perfect in this story. But most impressive about this book is how Pettrey wove a romantic relationship into such a complex and suspenseful mystery. I loved how each chapter gave me a glimpse into who the bad guy was without giving away the ending. For me, this book moved pretty fast but in a good way. I couldn’t wait to turn the next page to find out what would happen next. I think the biggest reason Pettrey was able to keep up the fast pace was because of her impeccable research. I was very impressed with the knowledge level put into the characterization especially surrounding the lab and archaeological side of things. At many times this book reminded me of one of my favorite television shows, Bones, because of the similarities of the different characters and their professions working together to solve a crime.

Spirituality is also very important to me in the books I read and I really loved the prayers and scripture references the characters made in Cold Shot. The fact that multiple characters were learning to trust God in difficult areas of their lives was very important to me. I love watching characters learn about forgiveness through the leading of the Holy Spirit and then applying it to their own lives.

Overall this was an excellent book. I wouldn’t have minded just a tiny bit more romance but I am a sucker for the romantic side of books. This was without a doubt a page turner and I’m already looking forward to the next book in the series.

I would recommend this book to anyone that likes Dee Henderson, Lisa Harris, or Lynette Eason.

Rating: 5 Stars

Bethany House and NetGalley provided me with an advanced copy of this ebook in exchange for my honest review.