January 13, 2016

Breaking Busy

Breaking Busy
by Alli Worthington

 Pre-order before Jan. 26 and get a free study guide here: http://alliworthington.com/breaking-busy-guide



Sometimes a book comes along at a perfect moment in your life. That is what happened for me with Breaking Busy by Alli Worthington. I was invited to serve on her book launch team in November and received the advanced copy of the book shortly before Thanksgiving. What a crazy time to try to read a new book, right? Well turns out that the craziest time to read a book is sometimes the best time! 



I don’t read a lot of non-fiction because honestly it seems like the books tend to say the same thing just in a slightly different way. But this book really spoke to me in a way that a non-fiction book hasn’t spoken to me since Say Goodbye to Survival Mode by Crystal Paine of www.MoneySavingMom.com (and I was on that book launch team too!). Breaking Busy is full of scripturally sound wisdom for women who are trying to do it all and continually feel like failures.

Breaking Busy has 10 chapters and would make a great small group bible study. Not every chapter is going to speak to each woman in the same way and it would be neat to share how each chapter works in your life in a small group dynamic. I would have really enjoyed reading this with a group of friends or acquaintances at church.
 
Alli starts off with a  bang talking about our capacity. In this New Year I’ve really been striving to put what I learned in the first chapter into practice. God spoke to me through this chapter about taking better care of myself and focusing on what relationships are important especially my relationship with God.
As I continued reading I just kept finding more and more truths God was giving to me through Alli’s words. 


Then I got to chapter four: Editing. This is when it really hit home with this quote:
  
“God sometimes calls us to quit things that are good in exchange for His plans that are greater.” 
 
 He helped me realize that I need to be listening to Him to decide what to say yes and no to in my life. And I admitted I’d been putting off some decisions that were hard because I was more worried about people’s opinions than God’s! WOW!


Later I came across a chapter that specifically addressed an area I really struggle with: Worry. Yes I’ve read all the verses… And Alli shared all of them again... But this chapter really put the concept of gratitude into just the perfect words for me to hear. If you struggle with worry and/or anxiety then I cannot recommend this book and specifically this chapter enough.


Another difficult area in my life is time management. It is so easy to get sucked into social media or television to the point where you don’t even know how much time you spend on it. Alli suggests making a “stop doing list” and also suggests saying NO while likewise advising you to say YES to time with God and time for self-care. 

 

I really learned so much more than this but I can’t give away the whole book in this post. If you only buy one book in the next six months I couldn’t recommend any book more than I recommend this one. It was a life changer for me. God wants more for us and shares through Alli Worthington ways to improve our lives by Breaking Busy.

This book was provided to me by the author and publisher in exchange for my honest review.