December 25, 2015

The Painter's Daughter

I've been hearing good things about Klassen's books for quite some time but never got around to reading one until now. The Painter's Daughter was an excellent read. Not my favorite genre usually but this book kept my attention from the beginning and I had to force myself to put it down to get some sleep only to continue reading this morning to finish it!



 Since this was my first Klassen novel I can't compare it to her previous books and since I don't read a lot of Regency books I really didn't have any expectations going into it. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I cared about the characters even though I didn't really like all of them. I honestly only liked Stephen but because I liked him I cared about what happened with the other characters.

One of my favorite parts of the story was watching Sophie come into her own inspite of what others thought about her. I loved watching her go from being a mere assistant to her father to being much respected and admired by him. This wasn't a huge part of the plot but it did stand out to me.

I also really loved that this book allowed for passion in marriage. So often Christian books seem to think that kissing is enough and I applaud Klassen for including more within a committed and loving marriage. I know that some readers might be offended that there was more than just a kiss or two but I personally thought it was handled very tastefully.

After reading this novel I'll definitely be checking out more books by Klassen.

This book was provided to me by Bethany House through NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.