November 16, 2015

A Reason To Stay

A Reason to Stay

by Kellie Coates Gilbert



This was my first book by Kellie Coates Gilbert. Honestly, going in I wasn't really sure what to expect. But this book ended up being a great read. I especially loved how it told her story from present day along with her story from when she met her husband. I don't usually like stories that go back and forth too much but this one had a perfect balance between the two.


My favorite part about this book was reading about the in-laws. Some of the things that happened in their early days were very reminiscent of things that my husband and I either discussed or prevented from happening. My husband's family is similar in some ways to Geary's. And I appreciated reading a book where the post honeymoon married life isn't all sunshine and roses. Sometimes it is hard to get used to being a part of a new family!

I also found it quite realistic to finally read a book where the marriage wasn't perfect. Sometimes it is hard to read Christian Fiction and see so many happy couples that barely argue or fight. It was nice to see a couple that had issues to work through but that in the end figured out how to love each other and be there for each other.

I did long for a little more of a coming to Christ story for Faith. I would have liked a couple chapters where she came to know Christ and grew in her faith. I kind of felt like that part was missing at the end.

Overall this was a great read. Traumatic brain injuries are something that most of us do not know a whole lot about but I do personally know a couple of people that have suffered from one and I think it was an excellent choice for a topic in a Christian Fiction book. I'm looking forward to reading more by Kellie Coates Gilbert in the near future!


The publisher, Revell, provided me with an advanced copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.