September 24, 2015

Secrets She Kept

Secrets She Kept
by Cathy Gohlke

This book was amazing. It is very rare for me to admit that I'm hooked on a book on the FIRST page but this time I was!!! I immediately felt a connection with Hannah that surpassed the connection I feel with most fictional characters. And Gohlke throughout the book portrayed Hannah's character so perfectly that I felt every emotion as Hannah felt it and many times I teared up because the feelings were so strong!



It isn't any wonder that I loved this book so much because the WWII Christian Fiction genre is my all time favorite but this book went above and beyond my expectations. I knew Gohlke was an amazing author because I read and reviewed Saving Amelie when it came out but if it is even possible Secrets She Kept was even better!

I usually don't love books that change perspectives every other chapter because it messes with my momentum in reading but this book handled it so expertly that I barely noticed I was changing time periods and perspectives. I loved seeing life through both the mother and daughter's eyes. And the amount of research Gohlke obviously poured into this book made the transitions very believable.

I don't want to give away any spoilers but there is a moment toward the very end of the book that I realized what an excellent storyteller Gohlke is and I was astonished at how perfectly she wove everything together. I just finished reading and I could easily pick the book up right now and read it again because it was that good.

When I was in college I got to hear a WWII survivor speak. Her name was Eva Kor and her story was incredible. Reading this book brought many memories of her back. And I loved how Corrie ten Boom's life was woven into this story. I also really loved how Gohlke wove the importance of forgiveness and letting go of bitterness into the story.

I cannot recommend any books more highly than I can Gohlke's two books. If you haven't read them yet you really should!

I received a copy of this book from Tyndale in exchange for my honest review.