August 20, 2015

Through Waters Deep

Through Waters Deep
by Sarah Sundin

I am totally embarrassed to admit that even though Sarah Sundin writes my favorite genre this was the first book of hers that I've read! Obviously her other books are in my to be read pile but signing up to review this one was the push I needed to move her books to the top of my to be read stack!




This book was amazing. I truly loved everything about it from the setting to the characters. It combined so many of my favorites: WWII era history, Naval officers, mystery, and a strong female lead. I fell in love with Mary quite quickly. Her intelligence combined with her spunk and unwillingness to back down made her easy for me to identify with. Of course, the handsome naval officer, Jim, wasn't hard to fall in love with either! I love relationships that begin with friendship but I also love relationships that aren't easy. Sundin crafted a beautiful love story in the midst of the turmoil of 1941 in Boston. But I loved that her book was more about the history and the research behind the destroyers and life at sea than just the love story. The balance between the two in my opinion was perfect especially as the romantic tension in the story balanced out the pre-WWII conflict.

One of the best parts about this book was the real life character flaws that both Mary and Jim lived with. I enjoyed watching them work through their flaws throughout the book and in the end learn to conquer their fears. I also appreciated how the love story was not a simple "and they lived happily ever after" because those stories are so boring to read. I have to admit I was on the edge of my seat for a while wondering how Sundin would wrap up this book. In the end I loved how she handled the relationships but you'll have to read the book to see what I mean.

I read this book in one sitting and didn't have any trouble staying engaged at any point in the story. I was hooked by the end of chapter one and it is a good thing I had a whole uninterrupted afternoon to read! If you haven't read anything by Sundin I would highly recommend her.

Revell provided me with a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.