August 30, 2015

Drawing Fire

Drawing Fire
by Janice Cantore

This book is a page turner that leaves you on the edge of your seat all the way to the end! I've read all of Cantore's books so I knew I would love this one and wasn't at all disappointed. I did feel it had a little less romance than some of her others but I have a feeling book two's romance will more than make up for the lack thereof in this one.



Abby is a pretty amazing main character. She is driven, focused, and strong and those are some of my favorite characteristics in female leads. She very much reminded me of Jane in TNT's Rizzoli and Isles. I love seeing females in successful careers especially when they are making a name for themselves in a "man's world" such as police work.

 Some authors have to spend months to years researching for a new book. Cantore did all that in her years on the police force. Real life experience lends to very realistic books. She does an excellent job of using just enough police jargon to set the scene without using so much that I feel confused. And the way she explains words that may be new to some of us flows so well with the story. I love the insight into what her former career was like.

Drawing Fire is full of romantic tension between Abby and PI Luke but honestly none of it is ever acted upon and you are left hanging for book two to see what happens. And really most of the romantic tension is actually internal in each of their lives since they never even talk about it. I really can't wait to see how Cantore will pull it all together in the next book.

I love reading suspense because I get to try to figure out who the bad guy is. This book really kept me guessing though and honestly I feel like book two is going to reveal more truths so I'm really not convinced the crime is totally solved.  I really loved the story line though. Everything melded so well together even the various crimes all fit together in some way or another.

As I mentioned previously I think if you like Rizzoli and Isles you'd love this book! I would also recommend this book to fans of Patricia Bradley and Lisa Harris.

The publisher, Tyndale Fiction, provided me with a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.