July 8, 2015

London Tides

London Tides
by Carla Laureano

This is book two in a series but the cover, back cover description, and setting appealed to me more than the first book so I decided to take a chance and read this one first and I am so glad I did. And I'm looking forward to going back and reading book one now that I know I love Laureano's books!

LondonTides

London Tides has a unique story line in that the main characters are not getting to know each other for the first time. I love stories of second chances and I love romance so this contemporary romance was perfect for me. I don't know much about Ian's sport of rowing but I enjoyed the great descriptions that Laureano wrote about it and loved his dedication to the sport even though he was no longer competitive. As for Grace's career of photojournalism I don't really know much more but I did enjoy hearing familiar terms from my high school photography class. But what especially drew me into the story was how they are both involved in helping the voiceless have voices in their own ways. (If you want to know how you'll have to read the book!!!)

This book explores so many great themes. I loved how she explored whether career or happiness is most important or if they go hand in hand. I also loved the times when both characters stepped away to see what they really wanted. Sometimes I think we need more books where the happily ever after isn't so easily reached. Ian and Grace really worked to get to their moment of true happiness and it showed through all kinds of tension. I think that is what I liked the most about this book. They didn't have it easy but they worked it out and their relationship turmoil was so well written that I couldn't put the book down.

This book wasn't preachy at all. It does mention prayer and Christianity but honestly I think a non-Christian could really enjoy this book. However, I do want to warn super conservative readers that pre-marital sex and living together is mention briefly and there is also some drinking in the book. It was all handled very well in my opinion but I know some people would prefer to avoid those topics.

After reading this book I'm so attached to the characters and setting that I really feel like I was there with them. I cannot wait to read the first book and I hope the third comes out before too long too!

I received this book through NetGalley from the publisher, David C Cook, in exchange for my honest review.