May 28, 2015

Together with You

Together with You
by Victoria Bylin

This was my first book by Bylin but one look at the cover and I knew I had to read it!



Looking at the cover I expected this to be a fun romantic read without too much seriousness. Little did I know that I was walking into a fairly serious novel meant to both entertain and educate readers. But that worked out well for me because I'd just assume read books that have more of  purpose than just entertaining.

Unfortunately a serious problem in the United States and all around the world is FASD (Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder) because so many women drink while they are pregnant and the alcohol affects the baby. In this story Penny falls in that spectrum and has trouble with loud noises, changes in routine, strong flavors, and conversations just to name a few. I worked with a child one summer that dealt with this and it was incredibly hard to see a child struggle with things that I take for granted like even simply leaving the house to go to the park. Bylin did an excellent job raising awareness for this disorder.

I fell in love with everyone in this story because they all seemed so realistic. The story has been done before countless times but the affects of a child with FASD on the family made for just the right amount of originality to keep me interested.

Overall the bonding of Carly, the nanny, with Penny and her brothers was very touching. Almost makes me wish we could all afford a nanny! And the romantic tension in this one is unbelievably thick along with the tension of having two characters falling in love even though one is a Christian and the other isn't.

Hopefully the more people read this the more awareness can be brought to FASD.

Bethany House provided me with a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review