January 1, 2015

The Song

The Song



I almost didn't read past the first couple of chapters on this book. I was really looking forward to it because the movie previews looked good and I like country music and it is based (loosely) on Solomon from the Bible....but the book didn't engage me in the beginning like I expected. However, since I did receive a free copy from Tyndale House to review it I of course persevered and finished in and in the end was glad I did.

This still isn't my new favorite book or even close. And I don't think I'll be spending the money even to rent it at Redbox when it comes out but I do not regret the time I spent reading it either.

The story's premise isn't bad and it will probably make a great movie but I felt like it is a better screenplay than book. The end result of forgiveness and second chances is pretty amazing. The main character's ability to overcome all of his demons in one short 6-week stint in recovery was pretty amazing. I suppose I find it believable if it was through God but the book didn't put enough emphasis on that for my taste. I felt like the book portrayed him to be strong on his own.  I also didn't feel like there was enough reconciliation in the story between the husband and wife. There should have been a lot more conflict resolution between them. It felt like it skipped pretty easily to "happily ever after" at the end.



Tyndale provided me with a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.