September 28, 2014

The Story Keeper

The Story Keeper
by Lisa Wingate

4 Stars

This is really a story within a story. Jen works for a publisher in NYC and someone leaves a 20 year old book submission - or the first three chapters of one - on her desk. These chapters pull her in because they remind her of her childhood in North Carolina and the more she reads she realizes she recognizes the voice of the author. So she heads back to her hometown area to try to find out if she is right about the author and to convince him to publish the full story with her company.




Of course traveling back to her hometown area also includes revisiting her past. She visits her family and is forced to relive some very hard memories. She also meets some amazing new people too.

I enjoyed both Jen's story in the present and the manuscript she is reading. The manuscript was especially interesting because the main character, Sarra, is a Melungeon. I had never heard of these people and was fascinated by the idea of a tri-race. It saddened me to know that this group of people was so persecuted and abandoned.

Wingate tells some pretty amazing stories and is great with description. But stories within stories aren't my favorite type of book. I was glad that I enjoyed both stories separatey or I might have just skipped pages to read just one part of the book.

Tyndale provided me with a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.