August 5, 2014

Captured by Love

Captured by Love
By Jody Hedlund

I really enjoyed this book by Hedlund. I'm always partial to books where it stretches me to read them because they take place in a time or place that I do not know much about. I grew up in Kansas so Michigan was never a state I thought much about but then in college I moved to Illinois so I met a lot of people from Michigan. That's when I first started hearing about Mackinac Island. I have to admit I've thought it would be a neat place to visit and reading this historical fiction book set there peaked my interest even more.



This book takes place during the British occupation of the island which is putting many of the people in times of great hardship. One of those people is Angelique. She has been left in the care of a guardian step-father after the passing of both of her parents and he greatly mistreats her. Thankfully occasionally she can sneak away from him to help care for her fiance's mother who is frail and blind and left all alone while one son, Angelique's fiancee (Jean), is off fighting and the other (Pierre) is fur trading.

I'm pretty sure that Angelique would be helping the brother's mom even if she wasn't engaged to one of them though since that is just the type of woman she is. But her tender care of their mother is just one of the things about her that both men love.

You'll have to read the book to find out which brother she ends up with in the end. If you love romance, devotion, history, and just a touch of suspense I think you'll love this book. I loved how unending devotion was a theme throughout this book and not just in a romantic sense.

Bethany House provided me with a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.