June 16, 2014

The Prayer Box

The Prayer Box 
by Lisa Wingate

3 stars

I really liked the last third of this book. But it took me the first third to get into the story. In all honesty I almost didn't read past 40% on my Kindle because I just wasn't engaged yet. But thankfully I was interested enough in what would happen that I kept reading and discovered the beautiful ending.





This book is a story within a story. The present day centers on Tandi who is a young single mother trying to keep her two kids fed. When her landlord, Iola Anne, passes away the church that inherited the house gives her the opportunity to clean it and she says yes. At first she is just excited to have some extra food from the kitchen to take home to her kids. But as she continues to explore the old house she finds these boxes filled with letters.

At first you think that Iola Anne is actually writing her dad but after awhile you realize the letters are actually prayers and the "father" she is referring to is her Heavenly Father. The prayers themselves are beautiful and give you a glimpse into the pain this woman lived through.

You'll have to read the book to learn more about Iola's life and why the letters were so deeply touching for Tandi.