June 10, 2014

The Antelope in the Living Room

The Antelope in the Living Room
by Melanie Shankle

There are so many things I love about Melanie Shankle’s writing. One thing is her complete honesty and hilarious commentary throughout the book. But another thing is her variety of TV show and movie comparisons and comments! It actually feels like you are reading a book by one of your closest friends complete with all of her innermost thoughts whether they are serious or funny or sarcastic! And I LOVE sarcasm!




Melanie and Perry have been married 16 years and either she kept an incredible diary, she has an amazing memory or she is just talented at recreating the most emotional and hilarious moments from their married life. This was the funniest book I have ever read. I seriously was laughing so much that the book took me twice as long to read because I would have to stop reading to control my laughter at least every two to three pages!

(I just spend the evening reading some of my favorite parts out loud to my husband and he was laughing too!)

I love that she wrote a book about real marriage. The good times and the bad. The funny and sad. The easy and hard. She didn’t sugar coat anything. It wasn’t a cheesy or corny book about love. It was the honest to goodness truth about marriage…and the antelope on the living room wall!

On the serious side of things I really appreciate that multiple times throughout the book she refers to marriage as a commitment. She also makes it very clear that it is for forever and that there are no “outs” or shortcuts. I love this. In the world we live in today divorce seems to be everyone’s answer to the “irreconcilable differences” in their lives and I love that this book doesn’t talk like that.

I love the stories like the time that Melanie saw a snake on the back porch and screamed and all Perry did was ask what kind it was!

Also, Melanie and her husband learned something that my husband and I knew before we even got married: “the key to a good night’s sleep was that we never share covers”  It is just easier to have your own 

Oh and her name for her husband’s favorite store: “cheaper than dirt!” made me laugh EACH and EVERY time I read it!

One of my favorite paragraphs:
“In a lot of ways home improvement is like marriage. It’s not glamorous. It can take a lot of hard work and effort. There are days it feels like it might be easier to burn the whole thing to the ground and start all over again. Then you remember how much you love the house or your husband and you recommit yourself to what it takes to see the whole thing through.”

I have a lot more favorite parts but really you should just read the book for yourself. I just finished reading it for a second time. I rarely read a book twice to write a review. But this book was THAT good!

Oh and I'm officially a reader of her blog. It is wonderful...http://thebigmamablog.com/