June 20, 2014

Tattler's Branch

Tattler's Branch
by Jan Watson

This was my first novel by Jan Watson. Which leads me to my ONLY complaint about the book... I didn't realize there was a book before this one about the same characters until I got to the end of the book and there was a sample of Skip Rock Shallows. But in spite of missing the first book I still LOVED Tattler's Branch. Do you see the cover of this book? Isn't it stunning? Best book cover I've seen in a long time!




Watson has some of the best writing I've read. Her descriptions of people, nature, and life were stunning. I fell in love with the main character, Lilly. Of course this might have had to do with the fact that in 1911 SHE was the DOCTOR in town!!! I love strong female leads! Her independent, resourceful, smart self easily became my favorite character. I loved her sister Mazy too for different reasons. Mazy is a spirited young lady who says what is on her mind no matter what and is more than a little excited to use the new telephone at the house and clinic.

Tattler's branch tells a wonderful story that includes history, intrigue, romance, and suspense. I really couldn't have asked for a better mix of qualities. I couldn't put the book down it was so good! Some of my favorite parts of the book were some of the remedies Lilly uses when modern medicine weren't the best answer. I also enjoyed the research that Watson put into using the historical names for conditions such as "St. Vitus Dance."

I am very much looking forward to going back to read the back story of how Lilly and her husband Tern (don't you just love that name!) fell in love.