November 6, 2013

Critical Reaction

Critical Reaction
by Todd Johnson

This is only Todd Johnson's second book, but it was the first one I've read by him. Though, after reading it I promptly found his first book, The Deposit Slip, and read it too!



This was the first book I've read where the story centered around a court room and law proceedings. It definitely wasn't my typical read but I did enjoy the change of pace.

A blast at a former nuclear facility involving Kieran leaves him feeling ill in spite of the reports that there was no radiation. He calls his friend Emily who is an inexperienced lawyer and she convinces her dad, Ryan, to help her represent her friend. All her friend really wants to know is for sure how much radiation he was exposed to during the blast. The more and more the three investigate the explosion and the following reports of the incident the more suspicions arise. You'll have to read the book to find out what happens!

Johnson is a lawyer himself which makes him an excellent author for this book. He writes with authority on how things work in preparing for and going through a trial. He captures the emotions and thoughts of the lawyers, clients, and witnesses expertly. I really enjoyed his attention to detail throughout the book.

In addition to the great lawyer detail that Johnson shares he also writes great characters that live life in a very determined way. I truly loved getting to know his characters. I also learned a lot from this book about how much work goes into putting a case together for a courtroom. I couldn't believe how many details had to be met! But I also appreciated that his entire story wasn't always in the courtroom and that there were many personal moments between the characters too. I especially loved the reconciliation in the story!

This book is great for anyone that loves court room drama, suspense, and mystery.

This book was provided to me by the publisher, Bethany House, in exchange for my honest review.