August 29, 2013

Clear Winter Nights - Theology in Story

Clear Winter Nights
by Trevin Wax




I haven't read a Christian Living book written in this manner that I loved this much since reading Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller 8 years ago.


Clear Winter Nights is the perfect mix of story-telling, Q & A, and theology. The characters were down to earth and within pages of starting the book you felt like you really knew Chris and his grandfather because they reminded you of someone in your own life (or a compilation of people in your own life). As Chris and his "Gramps" talk you realize they are talking about many of the topics in life that you struggle with when it comes to being a Christian but also being a friend to a person living in sin such as with the issue of homosexuality.  I thought that the author did a good job of explaining the "hate the sin - love the sinner" idea.

But they didn't just talk about how to handle knowing and being friends with homosexuals. They also talked about love, sexuality, death, church-planting, marriage, divorce, world religions, evangelism, and heaven.

One of my favorite lines from the book is something "Gramps" says: "You don't always choose your temptations, but you do choose your behavior." He also goes on to say "We are not defined by our temptations. We are defined by our redemption."

I know that some people reading this book will probably not like it because so much was covered in such a short book. There is a lot of material to digest. Often time the subject changed so often that I had trouble keeping up but each page was so good that I didn't mind how often the subject changed.  I loved the banter back and forth as the two characters conversed about anything and everything. I loved the honesty. I like it when a book makes me think without making me feel like I am reading a textbook.

Multnomah Books provided me with a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.