May 13, 2013

A Noble Groom



A Noble Groom
by Jody Hedlund

This book gave me a taste of what people experience when they read books that have Spanish in them. You see I am fluent in Spanish so I think nothing of it when a Spanish word or two is thrown in…but this book had all kinds of German thrown in and I really had to think to put together what some of the words meant!  I did know some of them before reading this book but I definitely expanded my German vocabulary in the last few days!  


This was a very enjoyable read by Jody Hedlund.  When I first started reading I wasn’t sure how much I was going to enjoy the book but the further and further I read the more I fell in love with the characters.  I enjoyed how Carl treated Annalisa with so much appreciation and respect long before he fell in love with her.  It was also a pleasure to see her blossom under his kind words to her.  

This book was also a nice mix of history and fiction.  It was a nice reminder that the people living in the late 1800s lived through some very hard times.  We take so much for granted these days – like the ability to water our garden if it isn’t getting enough rain! We also take very much for granted the fire trucks that can put out massive fires and the hospitals and nurses that can treat diseases and burns.  We also take for granted that we are now able to marry for love and not just to have a man to take care of our farm!

Throughout the book I was so in awe of Annalisa’s tenacity.  Even late in her pregnancy she was planting corn!  I also appreciated her willingness to stand up for herself in many different circumstances!  

If you enjoy Christian romantic historical fiction then you should definitely read this book!

Bethany House provided me with a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.