April 28, 2013

Swept Away

Swept Away by Mary Connealy (Book 1 of the Trouble in Texas series)


This was the second book (read my review of the first one here) I have ever read in what writers classify as the "historical romantic comedy" type of book and I loved every page of this book!

This book has everything I like about historic romantic christian fiction coupled with everything I like about romantic comedy movies! Which to me is a win-win!

I love how the main male character is a knight in shining armor that rescues the main female character but I also love that the main female character rescues him a few times in the story too and I love how well they work together to achieve a goal.

Most of all I loved that Ruthy is a lot like I myself am: stubborn and independent.  She spends much of the book proving to everyone that she can do anything Luke can do and do it just as well if not better! She kind of reminded me of Annie from "Annie Get Your Gun" which is one of my favorite musicals.

One thing I really liked about Luke was that even though he was working to reclaim his father's land that was stolen from him he never had any intention of causing any physical harm to anyone and he had no intention of killing anyone.  So often in "westerns" the men are willing to "shoot and ask questions later" and I really admired that he didn't want to run his life that way.

I love how Mary Conneally writes.  This was the first book I have read by her and I enjoyed her story telling combined with history and comedy.  I also like how she weaved the Bible verse "There is a friend that sticks closer than a brother" into the entire story.  The friendship between Luke and his friends was amazing.  They were willing to risk their lives to help him and never once let him down.  I have a lot of amazing friends and I love that Bible verse and loved how she wrote the whole story around friendship even while she also created a love story.

If you love romance, comedy, history, and westerns with a Biblical theme then you will love this book.

I loved this book so much the next book I read was "Out of Control" also by Mary Connealy so you can watch for that review coming soon!

Bethany House provided me with a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.