May 7, 2012

The Messenger


A review of “The Messenger” by Siri Mitchell
Messenger, The



My maternal great-grandparents were Quakers – or Friends – so this book grabbed my attention because it is about a young Quaker named Hannah who gets caught up between doing what she feels is right and what her religion feels is right in this book set during the Revolutionary War in Pennsylvania.

The chapters alternate between the viewpoint of a local pub owner and Colonial spy, Jeremiah, and Hannah the young Quaker.  Jeremiah will do anything to further the cause of the Colonials, even convince a young pacifist Quaker girl to become a messenger for his cause.  Hannah will do anything to visit her twin brother in jail along with other Colonial rebel soldiers to bring him food and supplies, even deliver messages for Jeremiah even though her family’s religion does not believe in supporting the soldiers. As Jeremiah and Hannah learn more about each other’s’ convictions they also learn more about themselves.  

This book started out a little slow and was a little hard to keep track of which character’s chapter you were in at first, but the deeper I got into the story I couldn’t put the book down! It was the first Christian Fiction book I’ve read about Quakers and I enjoyed the nice change of pace. It was the perfect mix of romance, history, courage, loyalty, and love.

Bethany House provided me with a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.