July 23, 2009

domestic skills...and adventures...

If you haven´t read last night´s post yet...you should read it first...

http://gallopinto2.blogspot.com/2009/07/where-to-begin.html

Now to blog about yesterday...and today...

First of all...my mother should be proud. Some of the stuff she taught me about sewing has actualy turned in quite handy here. The velcro on a lot of our diaper covers has gone bad, but the covers are still good. So we bought velcro and yesterday and today I repaired about 12 diaper covers. YES, I sewed. You can ask the tías if you don´t believe me! Next on the list of domestic sewing duties - sewing hems on the actual cloth for the diapers that we bought a couple weeks ago... (120 plus to sew...)

But that´s not all. Not only have I been sewing, but I´ve also been helping out in the kitchen. Now, I did this last year too because it isn´t that hard (just time consuming) to help shell peas, fava beans, and cut veggies. However, today I took it to a whole new level and sliced green beans. Now, stop thinking about how you eat green beans in the States! Typically we either eat them really long with just the ends cut off or we cut them into about 1 inch pieces right? Well here it is most common to eat them in soups or with rice after they´ve been sliced into miniscule little pieces. Mine didn´t turn out as miniscule as when the Tías cut them, but I took a picture to prove that I really did slice a grocery bag full of beans!

So now that I´ve proved that I really do have some domestic skills...

apparently I have some other skills around the house because I helped Tío David hang our curtains...But now...let´s talk about what happened in the Baby Home last night...

Probably around 9 or 10 we heard one of the new boy twins crying. I almost just let him cry because they do tend to cry quite a bit when they want attention...but I decided to check on him. I´m so glad I did because I found him COVERED in vomit. Poor little guy. So I picked him up (holding him facing AWAY from me...I´m not stupid!) and started to leave the baby room when all of a sudden he decided he needed to vomit again! Crazy me I instictively tried to ¨catch it¨in my hand which of course was totally useless. So I called out for the Tías to help me since I was kind of stuck where I was with a huge mess and we got him cleaned up and changed. Then we started to talk about how long it would be before his twin brother got sick. And of course, about an hour later Molly checked on him and he too was covered in vomit :( Our poor little baby boys! So we brought them upstairs to the office and continued to read email while they sat in bouncy chairs. We were hoping they´d fall asleep since they were really tired. But the second twin decided that he still had more stomach contents to get rid of and proceeded to dirty the new PJs we´d just put on him. So we got him cleaned up too and thankfully eventually they both fell asleep around 12:30 a.m. or so.
But seriously, quite the night. And honestly the worst part was NOT getting thrown up on. It was definitely seeing my poor little babies so sick. Their poor faces...they were so sad and you could tell they didn´t feel well...

Seriously please pray that the twins are the last to get this virus (I think they were numbers 5 and 6 to get it) because it is supposedly a 3-7 day virus :(

And if this post grossed you out - I don´t feel bad for you!