April 2, 2009

Cochabamba, Bolivia

Most of you that read my blog know that my heart really goes out to the children of Bolivia - especially the completely helpless little babies who are without good, loving homes. Most of you also know that soon (in 68 days!) I will be returning to Cochabamba, Bolivia, South America to spend my second summer in a row working at a Casa de Amor I, a Baby Home, there.

But many of you do not know a lot about this Baby Home. Basically the children that arrive at the baby home mostly come through referrals from the government. This can mean that they were found on the street, abandoned somewhere, or were taking from abusive or neglectful homes. It can also mean that the parents voluntarily gave them up because they knew they could not care for them. Therefore most of the kids are not actual orphans, though some are.

In Bolivia around 72,000 children live on the streets. It is a horribly sad situation. Casa De Amor provides good, loving, Christian homes for around 35-40 of these children at a time and also processes paperwork for adoptions (sorry it isn't open to US citizens).

Anyway, the point is that I was just reading the March/April 2009 issue of Relevant Magazine and realized that they featured Cochabamba, Bolivia in their "Reject Apathy" section! Please, take a few minutes to go to this link I am providing below and read about the city that has become my second home - where I left my heart with all of the babies and people that work with the babies each day!

http://www.mygazines.com/issue/353/51

You can also check out Casa de Amor's blog for more pictures, stories, updates, and information!